Children in our Nursery and Reception form our Foundation Stage. Learning focuses on the Early Years Foundation Stage, following the interests of children. Emphasis is placed on learning through play with a focus on Reading, Phonics and Writing together with Problem Solving, Reasoning and Number for Mathematics. Children also begin to learn in themes associated with our International Primary Curriculum.
At Copenhagen Primary School and Nursery we are committed to enhancing and enriching all children’s early learning experiences. We work in close partnership with parents and promote this relationship through learning about, valuing and building upon learning experiences outside of our school setting. We welcome and respect the contributions of all special people in the children’s lives.
The Foundation Stage Curriculum is split into 7 areas of learning:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Mathematical development
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Creative development
Each area is of equal importance, and is taught through a wide range of activities.
These aims are intended for all children in the Foundation Stage. How they are implemented will be dependent upon the age and ability of the children.
- To ensure the best interests of the children are met by learning about and catering for individual needs
- To ensure the welfare, safety, security and happiness of all children in the foundation stage
- To encourage and promote positive relationships between the child and parents, carers, teachers and peers
- To enable children of all abilities and all cultural backgrounds to work together and feel equally valued
- To provide rich and varied contexts for learning, giving opportunities for all learning styles to be accessed (Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic), and building upon what children already know
- To develop a positive self image, high self esteem and social and emotional confidence for every child.
- Provide opportunities to stimulate interest and imagination
- Extend children’s ability to communicate ideas and feelings in a variety of ways.
Curriculum Aims in the Early Years Foundation stage
- Develop enthusiasm for learning and confidence in their ability to be successful learners;
- Provide opportunities that enable them to learn how to co-operate and work harmoniously alongside and with each other and to listen to each other
- Helping the children to concentrate on their own play or on a group task;
- Provide opportunities for all children to talk and communicate in a widening range of situations, to respond to adults and each other, to practise and extend the range of vocabulary and communication skills they use and to listen carefully.
- Provide opportunities for all children to explore, enjoy, learn about and use words and text in a broad range of contexts and to experience a rich variety of books;
- Provide opportunities for all children to develop their understanding of number, measurements, pattern, shape and space by providing a broad range of contexts in which they can explore, enjoy, learn, practise and talk about them;
- Provide opportunities for all children to solve problems, make decisions, experiment, predict, plan and question in a variety of contexts, and to explore and find out about their environment and people and places that have significance in their lives;
- Provide opportunities for all children to develop and practise their fine and gross motor skills, and to increase their understanding of how their bodies work and what they need to do to be healthy and safe;
- Provide opportunities for all children to explore and share their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of art, design and technology, music, movement, dance and imaginative and role play activities.
- To be aware of the needs of young children through:
- Lots of support and encouragement.
- Ongoing praise and reassurance
- Opportunities to develop independence
- Familiar routines
- Time to engage in new experiences
- Small and secure spaces
- Time to be quiet and to rest